Well, here’s the end of our attempt to build an entire web application in 48 hours, and we did it (just about!)
Here is what we’ve achieved:
- Great design (admittedly, already started)
- W3C valid, STRICT XHTML/CSS templates. Every page validates on www.w3c.org (as do all our sites )
- User authentication (registration, verification, login, profile, lost password)
- Submission of sites (including rather natty screen shots from Web Snapr, auto population of title and description from the meta data, etc)
- Basic display of submitted and approved sites with category and topic flitering and tags for future search capabilities
- We’ve even managed a contact form and a Wordpress Blog (You’re reading it!)
Okay, so what didn’t we manage, there’s quite a list which we’ll be working on over the next few weeks to make sure this is the best site of its kind!
- Pagination of site results (pretty critical I know!)
- Search functionality
- Individual page for each featured web site
- Voting capabilities – the main point of the site really! We’re still not sure whether this will be reserved for logged in users, or everyone, what do you think?
- Advanced profile page with lists of your submitted sites and eventually favourite site lists/friends, etc.
- Public user profiles – see what users have voted for or submitted.
- Facebook/myspace apps? Not sure how these will look, but everyone’s doing it these days!
- +101 widgets – eventually we’d like to offer users API interfaces and other stuff in the same vein as Digg.
- Claim your site – You’d be able to claim a site no matter who’d submitted it with a small bit of verification code in your header.
Quite an amibitious list there I’m sure you’ll agree!
Okay, so we didn’t complete what we set out to, but just about, and in actual fact, we only did 12 hours for two days, so we kinda managed it in 24 hours (except for finishing at 02:30am this morning and running over again tonight )
We hope you enjoy the site and put on lots of subissions of your work!